The U.S. Marine Corps has discharged former Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller Jr. about four months after his public criticism of the chaotic withdrawal of American military forces from Afghanistan by Joe Biden.
Scheller wrote on Facebook Thursday that he received a letter of reprimand, detention, a particular court-martial proceeding, and a fine before his discharge. He said he was filled with mixed emotions and remained thankful to the Marines for “forging me into a man.” He specifically thanked his fellow Marines who “served, led, bled, and suffered” alongside him throughout his 17 years of service.
His official discharge was classified as a general discharge under honorable conditions, below an honorable discharge.
Scheller described his experiences since being relieved of duty in August and “slandered as homicidal/suicidal” by the Marines’ public affairs office. He was imprisoned as a flight risk and had his medical records and the details about his investigation leaked to the corporate media.
The events leading to his discharge began with a video Scheller posted to social media challenging military leadership following the ISIS-K suicide bomb attack at the Kabul airport that left 13 service members dead. He asked in the video about the decision to abandon Bagram Airfield before all Americans had been evacuated and whether any brass was willing to accept responsibility for the decision.
Scheller was immediately relieved, although he continued to post videos until his court-martial and imprisonment for nine days in October until he pleaded guilty to several violations of military law. Following the plea, he was sentenced to a $5,000 fine and a letter of reprimand. The letter he received from Gen. Julian D. Alford said Scheller had violated his military oath and “publicly discredited” the Marine Corps.
Scheller responded to the letter of reprimand, claiming that his imprisonment and treatment in the brig was in retribution for his statements about the Afghanistan withdrawal.
In his post last week, he thanked the 40,000 Americans who donated to his foundation as well as those who spoke to military leaders and members of Congress on his behalf. He said that now that his discharge is official, he is ready to tell his story to America. He added that he plans a “media blitz” in 2022, including an interview with Tucker Carlson on Fox News on January 4.