South Carolina Man Dies In Tragic Firework Accident

A South Carolina community is mourning the loss of Allen Ray McGrew, a 41-year-old father, who died on Thursday after a firework exploded on his head. McGrew was attempting to entertain neighbors at a block party with a fireworks display when the tragic accident occurred.

The incident happened around 10:30 p.m. McGrew, dressed as Uncle Sam with a stars and stripes top hat, had ignited a large firework and placed it on his head to “show off.” Despite pleas from his family to stop, the firework detonated before he could set it on the ground, causing fatal head injuries.

McGrew’s wife, Paige, initially thought her husband was posing with the firework. “He was holding this firework over his top hat,” she told the New York Post. “I thought he was just showboating before he set it on the ground. I didn’t realize he had already lit it.”

Paige also mentioned that McGrew had been drinking for several hours prior to the accident, which might have impaired his judgment. Known for his love of Independence Day, McGrew was celebrating both the holiday and his son’s recent engagement.

This tragic event serves as a stark reminder of the dangers of mishandling fireworks. Authorities urge the public to follow safety guidelines and avoid risky behavior when using fireworks. The community is left grieving the loss of a beloved father and friend, whose life was cut short in a preventable accident.